Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Who died and made you Mrs. Fancy Pants?

What makes someone and expert on food or wine? Who are these people who decide that a Sauvignon Blanc should never be paired with Steak Tartare and is better served with shell fish? Who says that a $80 bottle of Martinborough Reserve is better than my $10 bottle of Finca La Linda? Isn’t taste in the bud of the beholder? Is it because you have a fancy pallet that is far superior to mine? Yes, I seem to have more questions than answers today – but I would guess one or more of these ponderings have crossed your cerebral cortex at some point.

frozen vanilla yogurt with semi sweet chocolate chip and a smooth red wine

I would never tout myself and an ‘expert’ in anything – not even television advertising, something I’ve been paid to do for over 27 years – but I do feel I can sniff out a mean gourmet mac and cheese or hunt down an affordable oaky, earthy blend of red wine.  I am of the belief that the so called ‘experts’ on food and wine tend to trump themselves up by scaring off us regular Joe’s and Jill’s. Finding that perfect wine is just a matter of experimentation.


mugs & jugs mild boneless wings and Malbec

First, seek out your biggest nasal sensory turn on. Next, you need to figure out the flavors that titillate your gustatory system. Soon you too will become the master of your oral-olfactory domain. For example; I know I don’t enjoy sweet wines so that rules out most whites. I also like a heavy, more robust texture on my tongue. This drove me to red wine. I started trying different reds… Merlot, Cabernet, the newer Malbec… and SURPRISE! I’ve found I do enjoy all of them. Then, I started to notice that I love earthy smells – interestingly that earthiness also translates into a flavor in most of my favorite wines. I joke that if it tastes like an oak tree that was drug up dirt road, chances are I’ll love it! After I figured out my wine preferences – I started exploring regions. I don’t think I’m unusual in the fact that many domestic wines cause me headaches, some almost immediately. I almost gave up on reds from the get-go until a friend mentioned that most domestic wines use a lot of sulfites to accelerate the fermentation process.  Since then I have moved on to imported reds and hardly every have a problem.


tree bears red wine and my oh-so-yummy cheddar and BBQ dog!

I could go on and on about my research from my focus group of one. The point I’m taking so long to reach is - anyone can be an ‘expert’. What matters is what tastes good to you! I’m sure I’d appall many a critic if they saw me drink my $10 bottle of Spanish red with my BBQ cheddar hot dog!  But do I care? Hell no. I say if it tastes good then DO IT! So…. Are you gonna do it? Let me know, I’d love to hear about it!


BTW - that $80 bottle of 1998 Martinborough Vineyard Reserve I mentioned above - actually beat out a $5500 bottle of 1990 Domaine de la Romanee- Conti La Tache - see for yourself! $80 wine beats $550 wine in taste test 

No comments:

Post a Comment